1. Why were the ancient olympics initially organised? The ancient olympics were organised as part of a religious festival and in honour to the leader of the Greek gods, Zeus.
2. How and when did the modern olympics begin? The modern Olympics started In 1896 the modern olympics begun because Pierre De Coubertin believed that coming together to play sport would encourage peace amongst the world countries
3. Why were athletes originally given olive wreaths as a reward? Because the wreath of olives was prize and a statue built in honour. The olive leaves were taken from the sacred Olympia olive trees near the temple of the Greek god Zenus.
4. Why do you think women were not allowed to participate in the ancient olympics? I think that women weren’t aloud to participate because they were like second-class people, like slaves.
5. Why is a flame lit at the modern olympics? Where does the flame come from? The Olympic torch is lit in Olympia, The torch is then passed on from torch to torch until it reaches the location of the games.